Monday, June 27, 2011

The Road Goes Ever On

The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began. 
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow if I can.
- J.R.R. Tolkein


To all those who come to this virtual place, greetings in Christ!  I am thrilled to welcome you to my very first blog post!  You undoubtedly have many other tasks, obligations, interests and passions to occupy your time, so I delight in your presence.  You may be wondering why I have chosen to begin blogging, especially at this period in my life in which spare moments are sure to be scarce and the Internet is already loaded with trifling poppycock.  True, I am about to embark on my most rigorous course of study yet, and there does seem to be a pervasive compulsion today to digitally publish every detail of one’s life; all the same, I hope some thoughtful prose will provide a nice outlet away from the technical demands of medical school, and I hope it exhibits a refined experience for you: friends, loved ones and strangers who stumble upon my experiences here.

A few short weeks ago, I received my baccalaureate degree from Saint Louis University.  One of the most important skills cultivated during my undergraduate experience—and a true hallmark, I believe, of a Jesuit education—was a spirit of discernment founded in Ignatian Spirituality.  Though I began my college career with a clear interest in the medical field, I used my time at SLU to explore my interests, gifts and desires, seeking ways to integrate them in a manner that would serve humanity and glorify God.  Through much prayer, reflection, mentoring and hard work, I was able to choose more confidently the profession of physician.  For this reason and several more, I am thrilled to continue my education at Saint Louis University School of Medicine.  And this time, I would like to give the world a window into my discernment, my experience, my journey.

On this blog, you can expect to find interesting stories of my experiences, observations on current issues in medicine, and commentaries on the intersection of faith, medicine, culture and most likely several others of my varied interests.  I do not know how often I will be able to post, but I promise to be as interesting as possible as often as possible (without overdoing it, of course).  For those of you with whom I will not be able to communicate regularly, I hope that this allows you to share this journey with me as a companion; for the rest of the world, I pray this be an opportunity to grow in mutual understanding of one another.  Respectful comments are welcome, as are private messages via email. I look forward to the conversation.

The verse above (inspiration for this inaugural post’s title) is an excerpt from one of the many songs in Tolkien’s The Lord of the Rings, my favorite piece of both literature and film.  Indeed, the road ahead of me is quite long, both thrilling and daunting.  Yet I am assured that the Road set before me has been laid by a loving God, and I am reassured to have the love and support of such wonderful companions.  The academic year begins with the White Coat Ceremony on July 31.  Please continue to keep me in your thoughts and prayers as I journey forward, and do stay in touch.  Love and blessings to you all!

1 comment:

  1. A very nice post. I look forward to hearing more from you.

    ReplyDelete